Wednesday, 13 December 2017
< >

Masjied Expansion

QMM Imaamat Tweets

LIVE AUDIO

Our man from Malawi

Zakaah Seminar

GIS Monthly Newsletter

Mini Food Fair

Teenager Ramadaan Experience

Women Empowerment

History of Masjid

Our Logo

Our logo was designed by Hadjie Abdullah Amien the first qualified Muslim Graphic Designer in Cape Town. He is the brother of Hadja Asa Samsodien of Van Rensburg Street, Goodwood.

Our History – from Early 1920’s

In the early 1920’s the Muslim community in the Cape started to move into the Northern Suburbs as businesses started to mushroom in Parow and Bellville. As Goodwood was not too far from the predominantly Muslim towns of Salt River, Woodstock and Bokaap, it became a safe haven for mostly labourers who worked in the Northern Suburbs. Most of the Muslim community then settled in an area called ‘Die Akkers’ – The name was derived from the erf sizes which were predominantly 1 acre or half acre. This was a very poor community who lived in mostly wood and iron dwellings. They quickly established a wood and iron Jamaat Khaanah (Prayer Hall) but unfortunately due to poor construction and neglect, it did not last for very long.

The Formation of Quloobul Moe’mieneen Society and Construction of the Masjied

In 1928 the Muslims of Goodwood came together to form the Quloobul Moe’mieneen Society (The heart of the believers). Through their hard earned money, they acquired land for the construction of a Masjied in Goodwood Street. After collecting funds for 4 years, the construction of the Masjied began in 1932. It then took another 4 years to be completed. It was related that during those 4 years of construction, the women and children used to carry bricks from the brickfields and as they were laid, the salawaat (praises on the Prophet) and other prayers were recited. This was the first Masjied that sprung up in the Northern Suburbs of the Cape. The sincerity of the people who built our Masjied bears testimony to the fact that it is one of the few Masjieds that have not been wracked by petty squabbles or by an array of Imams.

First Jumuah and the Imaamat

After construction was completed and the first jumuah was performed in 1935, there were only 7 Imams. The first 4 Imams were replaced after their demise and the current senior Imam, Sheikh Ebrahiem Tofa is being assisted by the resident Imam, Sheikh Dawood Ebrahiem. The first Imam was Imam Ismail Isaacs who served from 1935 until his death in 1960. Thereafter, Imam Abdul Kader Mukadam was appointed until his death in 1970 and then Imam Fakie Abdul Kader took over the imaamat until his death in 1978. In 1978 Ghafith Imam Omar Abdullah took over the imaamat and in 2000, with the rapid increase of the Muslim community, the resident Imam, Ghafith Sheikh Ebrahiem Tofa was appointed. From January 2009, Ghafith Ashraf Jikolo was appointed assistant Imam to our Resident Imam - Sheikh Ebrahiem Tofa. Ghafith Imam Omar Abdullah passed away on 10/11/2009 and Sheikh Ebrahiem Tofa was appointed as Senior Imam from January 2010. At the same time Ghafith Ashraf Jikolo indicated that he would not be able to serve in the capacity as Assistant Imam due to his impending studies and relocation to Lansdowne. Sheikh Dawood Ebrahiem was then appointed as the Resident Imam and assistant to Sheikh Ebrahiem Tofa. 

The Quloobul Moe’mieneen Community during the Forced Removal Era

The Quloobul Moe’mieneen community of approximately 400 families, in the time period before 1960, was generally a very close knit one. They indulged themselves in the remembrance of Allah (SWT) and the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) with the Masjied being the centre of all activities. A very vibrant madrassa operated from the Masjied and especially over weekends it became a hive of activity as many Moulood competitions, Ghatamoel Qurans and Tamaats took place in it.  In 1954, during Imam Ismail Isaacs’ imaamat, some major renovations took place and towards the end of his imaamat, in the late 1960’s, the illegitimate Nationalist government started to enforce their harsh Group Areas Act under their Apartheid Policy. Residents were then forcibly removed to other areas such as Ravensmead, Elsies River, Belhar, Bishop Lavis and other surrounding areas as Goodwood was declared a white area. The government also tried everything in its power to prevent the Muslims from attending activities at the Masjied. As the Muslims were displaced to these outer laying areas, they were forced to establish new places of worship and only frequented Quloobul Moe’mieneen Masjied on special occasions.

The Contribution of the Natha Family

The Natha family miraculously managed to out manoeuver the authorities and stayed in their house and business in Nelson Street. Mr Ismail Natha and his sons selflessly took it upon themselves to see to the upkeep of the Masjied. In 1992 as Apartheid’s demise was on the wall, additional renovations were made to cater for the spiritual needs of more and more workers whose companies were relocating from the central city into the northern suburbs.

 

The Abolition of Apartheid

With the abolition of Apartheid in 1994, the Muslims started to move back into the area at a rapid pace and during Eid and Jumuah prayers there were approximately 300 musallees overflowing out onto the pavements and into the road. The Masjied could then only accommodate 400 males and 200 females. Females could unfortunately not be catered for during Jumuah or Eid prayers, as there were too many male musallees. This necessitated the purchasing of an adjacent property for expansion purposes.

The Expansion Project

Algamdoellielah, as property prices skyrocketed, towards the end of 2004 we were fortunate to be offered an adjacent property for R590 000.00, by our non-Muslim neighbour, the late Mr. Cockrell. By the end of 2004 we managed to raise the money and in January 2005 we purchased this property. By the end of 2008, we incorporated it into the existing Masjied. It currently houses part of the Masjied, our Sheikh’s office, a library, a store-room, 4 classrooms and our Assistant Imam, Sheikh Dawood Ebrahiem occupies the servants quarters while the hearse is parked in the driveway. We secured the Masjied with the necessary burglar bars, security gates and palisade fencing. Cameras were installed for security purposes and to record all lectures at the Masjied. It will in future also serve to relay lectures via video streaming to the upstairs and the ladies sections. We are looking at ultimately video streaming all lectures directly to the homes of our community Insha-Allah Amien.

New Developments

In 2009 our neighbour at 131 Goodwood Street, the late Mr. Gouws indicated to us that he would like to give the Masjied first option to purchase his house at a price of R900 000.00. With the magnificent support of the community and an enormous fund raising drive by our late Ghafith Imam Omar Abdullah, we managed to raise this money within a matter of 3 months. The house was duly purchased and transferred into the Quloobul Moe’mieneen Trust. It is currently being used as part of the Madrassa infrastructure, a store-room for the Beitul Maal while we are also using the back section to accommodate our caretaker / administrator, Hadjie Abdul Nasier Samaai. We have just partnered with Awqaf SA to install a rain-water harvesting tank and a system to use grey water for irrigation purposes. This water is being used to water our vegetable garden in the back of the 2nd house where we will use the vegetables for our soup kitchen and for generating extra funds. The vegetable garden will be run as a project by the madrassa students. 

Future Developments

The 3 properties have just been consolidated into 1 and we are currently embarking on a drive to have it rezoned as a place of worship with the necessary re-development. We also intend to embark on a separate drive to purchase additional ground close to the Masjied, for parking purposes and for building an All-Purpose Centre to cater for the needs of our growing community of approximately 800 Muslim families. Another option would be to purchase the Protea Old Age Home opposite the Masjied which will open all sorts of opportunities for this dynamic community Insha-Allah Amien. We are also in negotiations with Awqaf SA where we will possibly enter into a joint venture with a property development initiative so that we can work towards our ultimate goal of becoming self-sufficient Ameen.

___________________________________________________________________

The Goodwood Islamic Society is a registered Non Profit Organisation (NPO : 054631) that caters for the spiritual, educational, social and welfare needs of the Goodwood community (and surrounds) which has grown to in excess of 800 families. The Society is administered by a democratically elected Executive Committee who, together with the Imaamat of the Masjied work closely together to achieve the goals and objectives of the Society.